Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I'm a Proud Mama!!! Not to mention relieved.

In the last year or so, I have noticed my kids getting more and more unruly and disrespectful. And after talking to several other moms, also complaining of the same things, David and I decided it was time to grab ahold of the reigns and be the parents again. I have been praying for the right methods, books, techniques, people.....you name it....to come along that would help me be a better mom for my kids. Tatum is the poster-child for strong willed. ( Not too far off from her mama! This brings it's own set of challenges.) And Eden is so "sweet" that it's hard for me to punish when she needs it because she is just too "cute." (And yes, I do mean she puts on the "innocent" face when in trouble.)

This past weekend while in Branson, I went into the Christian Book Outlet to browse around. I saw this book by Dr. Kevin Leman. "Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change your Child's Attitude, Behavior and Character in 5 days." A miracle cure....right. But, my mom had told me about Dr. Leman and his funny, no nonsense tips to parenting and I was intrigued. I bought the book and read it in the first 12 hours. NO KIDDING...instant results! My kids have had an almost 180 degree turn around in manners, sibling love and obedience. David and I are amazed. The best part is that we aren't stressed at all. Our family is becoming so much closer because we are aren't yelling or threatening each other! Go figure!

The icing on the cake was tonight at church....and I wasn't even there to witness it! I was feeling bad this afternoon so David and the girls went on to church a little early. Before we parted ways I called the girls over to me (they came on the FIRST call) and I told them that because I wasn't there they needed to be extra good for daddy while he had to give the devotional. "Okay mom! We will. Hope you feel better." Off they went to church. After church, one of our friends pulled David aside and told him that Eden was SO good in class AND Tatum had used such nice manners. (All of this was unprompted! And about "preacher's kids" at that! :) hehe!) David called just to tell me all of this.....he's proud too! I might sound like a babbling mom...but a week ago I was ready to pull my hair out. This week, I have new RESPECTFUL kids. I have always loved them.....but now I LIKE them! :) hehe!

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a way back to being the parent. (It would actually be a good book for teachers too!!!) I am sure that we will continue to have our ups and downs, but for a family that has tried LOTS of "methods" and failed......I found one that has great results! Yeah!!!

Dr. Kevin Leman has several other books that are pretty good. ( I have all of these...but never realized who wrote them until I read this most recent one! :))
Sex Starts in the Kitchen ( obviously a book on marriage!)
The Birth Order Book
How to Make Your Children Mind Without Losing Yours

I hope that you will find time to read some of his books. They really are funny!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow! That book sounds GREAT! Lawson has always been very sweet and a good listener, until lately. He is just starting to test the waters and see how much he can "not listen". Jordan, however, at not even two is the poster child for "I will look right at you Mommy, hear what you have to say, pause a second to decide if I will obey, then say no and turn to run." She drives me BONKERS!!! I will be checking this book out! :)

Glad things seem to be calmer around your house! :)

Nat said...

Good grief! We were in Branson that same weekend!! We went to SDC with some people from church to attend the Youth Bluegrass competition in which one of our families competed - and got 3rd place! - (you can see a couple of youtube videos on my navide.blogspot.com blog)
Anyway, you "tickled" my curiosity about this book. I thought I had the "How to make your children mind.." one, but now I can't find it! Oh,well.
A good book that helped me a lot is "To train up a child" by Michael and Debi Pearl. They are a great resource for a lot of good stuff (check out their site, nogreaterjoy.org) Sometimes they may seem harsh, but if you see their kids you'll understand that the occasional harshness is drowned in love.

God bless,
nat