Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Oh what a Night.....


This is our drive way and main entrance to our house.

Well, we've had a tornado, two snow storms, two hail storms, several thunderstorms.....and now....TSUNAMI! And that's just in the last 5 weeks. I don't know who in our town is the "sinner" that God is trying to punish, but I wish that person would repent....and quickly! :) (Just kidding. I know that God doesn't do that to people.) But, one would start to question after so many MAJOR storms.
Last night our family went to the movie to go see Horton Hears a Who. (More on that to come!) When we left the theatre, David checked his phone and had like a million missed calls from various friends. He called our friend Dale back first. Dale told him that the "chicken plant" was being evacuated and that we should be really careful going home. (FYI: Chicken plant is 1/4 mile away from us, and actually on higher ground than us!) By the time we got to our road, the river that runs parallel to it had already started to rise. We decided that we were going to stay somewhere else for the night, so I started to pack up a few days clothes...just in case. You see, this house flooded in 1982...13 feet to be exact. And I want no part of a repeat performance. So...the girls and I head over to Dale (yes, same Dale) and Amanda James' house for the night. David and Dale decided to stay at the house and move things to counters and high spots in the case of a minor flood....if there was a major flood... it's all gone, so who cares!
At 11:30 pm I was finally able to get my now traumatized children to sleep. And I was exhausted. I dozed off to sleep very shortly after. I woke up suddenly at 3:30am to check on my kiddos. As I got up of the mattress, I stepped into 3 inches of ice cold water. At first I thought maybe a glass of water tipped over, or the toilet overflowed.....nope. Yes folks, their basement flooded. So, up I go to Dale and Amanda's room to tell them the glorious news. From then on we had a "bucket brigade" to get the water out of the crawl space and soak up as much as we could. Dale and David were outside trying to dig out the French drain from under the house (that was the culprit)......all while pouring down rain! After 3 hours, the drain was unclogged and we were wet and tired. As of now, things are calm at the James house and our house. The water are receding and the rain is slowing down. And Wet Vacs are a wonderful thing.
But, now I am even more tired than I was before. Oh well. I can always sleep tonight.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I hope all is well at your house. You guys have had it pretty hard up there lately.
I hope that you had fun at the movie.

Shelley said...

Wow! When it rains, it pours - literally!!!

Nat said...

Good to see you Bethany!
Thanks for visiting my "web-house" :-)
Come back sometime... maybe there'll be something in English!!
I'll bookmark your blog so I can stay "in touch" with you all!

Love,

navide/nat

Jamey said...

I hope this will be the end of the madness for your family and friends!